So, this year's theme is "The Many Faces of ADHD," which I believe is a FANTASTIC theme. I remember when I was first diagnosed I had SEVERAL people tell me they never would have guessed that I have ADHD. I'm sure that's because I don't fit the "stereotype" of a person with ADHD. As I mentioned in my last post, I didn't struggle through school has society tends to assume those of us with ADHD do. The only "classic" hyperactivity I had I either grew out of as a child (when we are expected to be a bit more hyper) or your typical "fidgety-ness" that doesn't tend to get associated with ADHD. I walk away from my desk several times a day to clear my head and regain focus, but everybody needs a break from time to time. And, the form that my hyperactivity comes out in, talking, could just be chalked up to being a "Chatty Cathy." Also, when I've tried to explain some of my symptoms to people they'd say, "Oh, I do that all the time," almost like they thought I was making an excuse.
A lot of research has been done into childhood AD/HD. For YEARS it was assumed that AD/HD was something that only children could have and you just "grew out of it." It wasn't until around 1994 when Dr. Edward Hallowell (psychiatrist and has ADHD) and Dr. John Ratey published their best-selling (and truly remarkable, in my opinion) book Driven to Distraction that people really began to believe that adults could have AD/HD, even though "clinical and scientific papers acknowledging the existence of an adult version of this disorder date back at least 40 years..." The one thing you should know though (as my doctors have told me and I have read in numerous places, while it is possible to have AD/HD has a child and NOT have it as an adult, it is NOT possible to have it as an adult and not have had it as a child, you simply weren't diagnosed.
Well, it's about time for me to get ready for work, but before I do I want to leave you with a few FACTS about ADHD from a flyer that was used last year.
1. ADHD is Real. Although many people still want to doubt it, "Nearly every mainstream medical, psychological, and educational organization in the United States long ago concluded that Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a real, brain-based medical disorder."
2. ADHD is a Common and Non-Discriminatory Disorder. "ADHD is a non-discriminatory disorder affecting people of every age, gender, IQ, and religious and socioeconomic background." As of 2011, approximately 9.5% of children have been diagnosed at some time and 4.4% of adults "ages 18-44 in the United States, experience symptoms and some disability."
3. Diagnosing ADHD is a Complex Process. "In order for a diagnosis of ADHD to be considered, the person must exhibit a large number of symptoms, demonstrate significant problems with daily life in several major life areas (work, school, or friends), and have had the symptoms for a minimum of six months." There is no one test to "prove" an ADHD diagnosis, many of the symptoms look like extreme forms of normal behavior, and many other conditions resemble ADHD.
4. Other Mental Health Conditions Frequently Co-Occur with ADHD.
"• Up to 30% of children and 25-40% of adults with ADHD have a co-existing anxiety disorder.
• Experts claim that up to 70% of those with ADHD willcbe treated for depression at some point in their
lives.
• Sleep disorders affect people with ADHD two to three times as often as those without it.
5. ADHD is not benign. "Particularly when it is undiagnosed and untreated, ADHD contributes to:
• Problems succeeding in school and successfully graduating.
• Problems at work, lost productivity, and reduced earning power.
• Problems with relationships.
• More driving citations and accidents.
• Problems with overeating and obesity.
• Problems with the law."
6. ADHD is Nobody's Fault. "ADHD is NOT caused by moral failure, poor parenting, family problems, poor teachers or schools, too much TV, food allergies, or excess sugar. Instead, research shows that ADHD is both highly genetic (with the majority of ADHD cases having a genetic component), and a brain-based disorder (with the symptoms of ADHD linked to many specific brain areas)."
7. ADHD Treatment is Multi-Faceted. "Currently, available treatments focus on reducing the symptoms of ADHD and improving functioning. Treatments include medication, various types of psychotherapy, behavioral interventions, education or training, and educational support. Usually a person with ADHD receives a combination of treatments.
OK, I know this has gotten long and I'll try to keep them shorter the rest of the week. Lots of love to all you guys who are reading!!! Have a great day!
No comments:
Post a Comment