Friday, May 4, 2012

Day 5 of the Two-A-Day Challenge: The Finale!

Well before I knew I had AD/HD, I knew that music helped me focus.  I just never understood why.  Growing up it would take me HOURS to finish my homework if I didn't have music playing because I couldn't pay attention long enough to get it done.  Now it looks like science knows what I stumbled across long ago!  Here's a great article on how music therapy can help kids with AD/HD.   http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/9558.html   It also talks about how music can be used to get them into a routine in the morning for getting ready (some that can be EXTREMELY difficult for ADDers).  I've always been intrigued by and toyed with the idea of a soundtrack of my life.  Maybe I should actually make one and see if it also works for adults so I will be more efficient when I'm getting ready in the morning!

Now for the second topic.  AD/HD people have a completely different way of doing things because our brains are "wired different."  Even when we work very hard to control and maintain our symptoms, we just don't work the same way as our non-AD/HD coworkers.  Here's a article that offers suggestions for the types of work that are well suited for AD/HD folks.  Also, to the side there's some great advice on finding a mentor to help hold you accountable for the work you need to get done and more links at the bottom with career tips for those with AD/HD.  http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/8656.html

Now for my chores.  First, I did a load of laundry before work this morning.  Then, after work I went and got an oil change and ran all over town running errands.  It's softball tournament time so I decided to take today and get all my stuff together that I need when we travel on the weekend to play ball.  I know it might not sound like much but I'm exhausted after all that running around!

Well, that's it!  I did it!  For one whole work week I spread knowledge and understanding about AD/HD, depression, and anxiety.  For that same week I also made myself a little more productive around the house and now I get to get myself two pairs of Yellowbox Sandals!  I'm so excited.  I've really enjoyed posting more this week and I think I may need to come up with a new challenge in order to keep me motivated until posting regularly becomes second nature.  Take care everyone and have a great weekend!

No comments: