Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Do the Humpty-Hump

Happy Hump Day!  The week is all downhill from here right? :)

Just wanted to give a quick update on how things are going.  I've implemented the first part of my schedule/routine and I'm loving it.  Phase I deals with the basic routine for the day, when to get up, when to leave for work, when to go to bed etc.  I had to find a way to implement structure and routine without making it feel so rigid and inflexible that I wouldn't stick to it.  I guess it's more like an outline for the day which gives me room to feel in whatever details I want/need.

For example, I get up at 5:00 on workdays but I don't actually get in the shower and start getting ready until about 6:00.  During that hour I'm free to do whatever.  Then, for my work day, I laid out a few basic things I need to do (like making a list of things to do for the day, putting in leave slips closer to the time I took the leave, keeping track of my accomplishments for the day, etc.) but I didn't specify a certain time they had to be completed.  That way I still feel like I'm in charge of my day instead of some schedule controlling it, but there's just enough structure there to keep me focused and on target.  Finally, after work until 9:00 is what I call free time.  It doesn't mean that for those 4 hours I'm completely free of all responsibility, it simply means that those 4 hours are left to my heart's desire.  I can use it to work on DIY/craft projects or I can work on something super important that has a deadline.  That part of the day is MY time.  Then at 9:00 I start going through the get ready for bed routine and actually get in the bed sometime between 9:00 and 10:00.

To be honest, my list of positive things for the cognitive re-conditioning I'm trying is getting long enough I might have to post this week's list on Friday and do a separate post next week for week 2 positives!

I also wanted to share a little bit of news.  I plan on joining the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) this week (waiting until payday to pay the membership fee).  NAMI was recommended to me by my ADD Coach and the counselor I was seeing before my diagnosis but, like so many things, I put it off and almost forgot about it.  It got brought back to my attention by a random text message a few weeks ago.  Apparently my cousin had sent out a mass text to invite friends to some kind of party (Mary Kay, Pampered Chef, etc) and when one of her friends responded it actually went to everyone instead of just Amie.  She responded that she was already obligated to a NAMI event and couldn't make it.  Now, I was super confused at first but after a while the NAMI part stuck in my head until I checked out the website.  If you'd like to learn more about the organization you can visit their website.  You can also find your local organization if you'd like to join.  I'm excited that my membership will not only be a benefit to me, but also in my pursuit to help others.

Well, that's about it.  Almost time to start getting ready for work.  Take care everyone!!

No comments: